Thursday 3 May 2012

PPP // Speaking from Experience

 To start this brief, we were involved in a workshop to try and get ourselves thinking and exploring various problems that we can focus on solving to help benefit next years first year GD students at LCA.

We will create a graphic product that can be given to the new first years that would hopefully help them avoid running into the same problems that we had in our first year.










Through this workshop, I tried to narrow down the the options to focus on specific areas that I had most trouble with in the first year.
I have to remember that the product I choose to design will have to benefit specifically first year GD students at LCA and not just any new first year uni student. Therefore the topic I choose must link with a problem that specifically LCA first years face.
I still want to keep my concept quite light hearted.




The first of my 3 main ideas is
  •  How to organise yourself to allow you to have a longer lie in and still be prepared for 9:30 Start.

  • When and where is best to buy your dinner when at LCA 
  •  Shopping for food as a GD LCA student.


These concepts at the minute are still quite loose, I need to try and get some feedback from peers and tutors to help refine specific ideas.



After suggesting my concepts to a few people and Jo it was said that I do need to refine it to make it more specific for graphic design students, as at the minute, my concepts could just be used for general first year students all around leeds.

For my idea to take to the Crit I want to create a weekly essential food pack for busy first year LCA GD students, this will take the structure of some form of storage system such as a Lunch box or first aid kit.


There will be certain areas I will need to research in order that the product will benefit the students.



I took a trip up to the library to see if i could get some visual inspiration for different designs that could be sturdy, cheap as well as being able to work as a lunch box.

This first design I found from 'Outside the Box Cardboard Design Now' by Black Dog Publishing. There are quite a few examples of the way cardboard can be used to create complicated, sturdy products.

In this example, I could use a similar system as the package below, by using a similar concept but obviously adjusting the cut out shapes in the design. It could create a solid lunch box style design, cardboard is not usually the material you would expect a lunch box to be made out of but I think it would be useful cheap and strong material.
The only problem would be the fact that it can't really be easily cleaned and when dealing with food this will be a problem.

A simpler option, may be to use these sort of jigsaw style product, or at least incorporate a similar concept to the design, maybe use this style to create the different compartments of the Lunch Box.
I like the fact that each panel can be visually different, and can be manipulated by the owner to suit their needs.










No comments:

Post a Comment