Tuesday 22 May 2012

PPP // Speaking from Experience - Design development

 I need to refine my concept a little more, so when thinking about what i will actually be producing and what would have been useful to me when I first started, i thought just having a daily lunch box that guides you through the ideal times and tips for food consumption during a typical year in LCA GD 1st year.

It can't be a fully serious product as i know it is not that essential to a new student, if they wanted a lunch box they can just go and buy one, but the idea that this would be given to the students at the beginning of the year, may provoke them to bring in packed lunch especially is there is tips inside about food and drink around the studio, it would also benefit finances as they wouldn't have to buy sandwiches everyday like I have this year.



Interesting lunchbox designs

It would be nice to be able to design on a retro lunch box below but I have shopped around leeds and cant find any metal or plastic lunch boxes anywhere, easily accessible ones now are either Tupperware or cool bag lunch boxes. but there are some pretty cool designs here.








 I was quite intrigued about developing a lunch bag that represented a paper bag, I think there could be some interesting opportunities, but as i think I want a more solid structure that could be partitioned off to make separate compartments, but if I ever want to design a lunchbox in the future then this would be a good design option.

 The dinner tray was also a little quircky idea, but I suppose with would have to act more of a general plate rather than something you would carry around with you, but it would be a good base for design. This again is an idea i will store in the memory banks.






 I wanted to experiment a little with this method below, as I thought this would produce a good way of partitioning off the different sections of the lunch box as well as being an interesting design element.



I went out and after looking for hours for a retro handled plastic lunch box I just settle with a Tupperware box which inside measured 205 x 137 and the side panels are 197 x 60

These are a few mock ups I made to judge what size i needed to produce them, but for the final design ideally it would be printed onto plastic pieces specifically made, but as time is running out I will make them from foam board, as this should give a sturdier barrier than card, it will at least make a better representation if not the desired final result.






There was a slip in design inside the lunch box when I bought it, it is a printed sheet that resembles the net I made below.

 I think this would be a good format to produce my design on as i can print it double sided and create an outer and inner design with one slip in sheet.
As this is a lunch box and would obviously carry food, the design would have to be laminated or just printed straight onto the plastic, but after making a trip down to the digital dungeon and talking to James there is no way he can fit me in to laminate my designs so again this final design will be a representation of the design but would hopefully be produced straight onto the plastic.

Below are some initial sketches of possibilities of how the box will be separated, as well as a couple of design ideas.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment